Sunday 7 June 2009

Roadtrip USA

I remember reading Alec Soth's blog a few years ago when he posted an entry about advice he would give any emerging photographer. The 3 suggestions he had were 

1. Jen Bekman and her Hey, Hot Shot competition.
2. Mary Virginia Swanson
3. Review Santa Fe

This last week, I did all three.

I received some great news on thursday that I have been chosen as one of the 2009 First Edition Hey, Hot Shot! Having been following their blog for the last couple of months and seeing the amazing work they feature, it was a great honor to have been chosen. It means I will be showing in New York for the first time, be included in 20X200 and best of all, get the chance to work with Jen Bekman and her team. 

I have also just finished review Santa Fe, as always, there were people who loved the work and people who didn't. But I was so glad to have met Mary Virginia Swanson. It was the first time at a portfolio review that the reviewer had done research on me before the meeting and she had a list of suggestions waiting for me on my presentation and marketing. We barely got time to look at the work but it was almost irrelevant. What a nice person she was too. I shall be taking her advice and hopefully you will see the my new improved website in the next few months.

Lastly, I met so many great people and great photographers in the last few days. Which was by far the best part of Review Santa Fe. I will hopefully be able to post the stuff I really like in the next few weeks. 

Until then, I will leave you with a few pictures I have taken in the last week. Having almost exclusively photographed with a large format camera in the last couple of years, I have had a great time using my new camera, which also comes with a phone.

My homage to Simon Norfolk





4 comments:

  1. hey kurt,
    great to meet you. i'm so jealous of your accent.
    i'd try to fake it, but madonna proved that doesn't really work.
    congrats on the hey hot shot success as well.
    hope your trip home was easy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a nice comment about Review Santa Fe & MVS.
    I really think same feeling about MVS.

    Please take a look of my blog about Santa Fe.Wmmmm, but in Japanese.

    http://yoichi-portfolioreview.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great to meet you and see your work at Review. Congrats on your recent successes and I look forward to your new projects from your upcoming travels.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally love that first shot of yours, the composition, the subject, everything! Whenever we feel like it, we usually go on a road trip away from Indianapolis for various reasons, and one of them is to test my new Hyundai Genesis that I bought at the Hyundai Indianapolis dealers, since it looks sleek and many of my friends recommended it to me.

    ReplyDelete