Monday 22 June 2009

More work from Santa Fe

I have been meaning to post more good work from Santa Fe but my daughters have been struck down by chest infections this past week. My wife and I had been trying to keep them happy while surviving on three hours sleep. Blogging was the last thing on my mind.

So to make it up, here are three photographers. I saw their work online prior to Santa Fe and was determined to see the work in print. Unfortunately, review Santa Fe being so hectic, I only managed to see one of the projects, but I did meet two of the artists.

Their images may appear straight forward at first, but they are strong, stimulating and layered projects that carry strong social statements and demand the viewers to ask more questions. From American food culture to globalisation of food, from the state of the economy to the effects of war and migration.

Mark Menjivar - You are what you eat

you are what you eat is a series of portraits made by examining the interiors of refrigerators in homes across the untied states.



Jonathan Blaustein - The Value of a dollar

images of one dollar's worth of food from around the globe


So you can see there's a food theme going on here. The last project is by

Ari Soloman - 18 Rue Dugommier

Not a food project but I have chosen the food images form his project here. It a very intimate project of the photographer's great Aunt, - 'the images hint at both what was missing in her life and what filled it through layered compulsions of classification and arrangement.'





No comments:

Post a Comment