Saturday 7 February 2009

Polaroid Snowmen

When the snow came down on Sunday night, my instinctive desire was to go out and walk on the fresh snow, follow closely by building a snowman. My 2 year old daughter couldn't care less (she will) and my wife and I ended up building it ourselves. 
I have always loved snowman, they never look like the one Aled Jones walked in the air with, instead, they are lob sided, and imperfect, eyes made out of anything from cocktail stick to cigarette buds. But I guess that's what so appealing about them.
Came Monday night, 80% of the snowmen around where I lived have been decapitated by drunken young men coming out after their last orders. They sprung up just as quickly as they are destroyed. I wanted to photograph the last few standing.
Then I remembered the box of out of date  5/4 polaroids I have had for 3 years. They weren't kept in very good conditions and I knew they were ruined. It seems fitting that these light leaked, colour shifted, brilliant yet extinct products should be used up to photograph these beautifully flawed, soon to be extinct snowmen. 
When I was waiting for each image to develop in the freezing cold, I was reminded of the magic of instant films. It's a shame as this is probably the last time I will be shooting polaroids.











3 comments:

  1. you like taking pictures sometimes, but when you do it, you do it well.
    Too bad you don't have polaroids anymore, these look magic.

    Number 5 is excellent and no 9 and I like no 8. But you know I am loving these colours.

    Hope to see you soon,

    best,

    dana

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like number 9 the best. I cant wait to see the sea when you've got some pictures to post. Congratulations on making your own snowman you two...

    See you soon!... Sophie

    ReplyDelete
  3. #4 is my favorite! awesome. :)
    also saw your photo on triangletriange.com, which is brilliant :)

    ReplyDelete